appended to the name of one of the Marys mentioned in the New
Testament. Mary Magdalene. It implies that she came from some
Magdala, probably from the village now called Mejdel, on the western shore
of the Lake of Galilee, about 3 miles north-northwest of Tiberias.
The ancient name may, perhaps, imply that there was a tower (Hebrew Mighdol)
either in or standing on the height west of the village. Dr. Thomson
describes it as being now "a wretched hamlet of a dozen low huts
huddle into one, ad the whole ready to tumble into a dismal heap of black
basaltic rubbish." (Land and the Book, 421). ¶ The word Magdalene in Scripture makes no such imputation on the moral
character as is now conveyed by the term Magdalen.
(The Sunday School Teacher's Bible Manual, Hunter, 1894)